Skip to content

Tribeca Buttons

March 6, 2010

The Tribeca was the first Sewing Workshop pattern that really appealed to me, and I bought it a couple of years ago but never made it up.  Pattern — check. Sometime last year I got this fantastic charcoal textured shirting from Michael’s and knew that the two would go together. Fabric — check. Then last year I went to the Houston Quilt show with a sewing buddy who got me fired up about exploring some more creative garment styles. Inspiration — check!  All systems GO.

Here is the result — a rather tame version of creative, but one that I feel comfortable wearing. After the body was sewn, I wanted to do something a little extra special with the closure. The herringbone texture of the fabric reminded me of twill tape, and I had some black twill tape on hand. To attach the button, the tape was threaded through a big-eyed tapestry needle. Even though the needle had a blunt tip, it was able to pierce the fabric. I took one stitch where I wanted the button attached, leaving a tail of the tape. One square knot was tied, making a shank, and then the two tails were inserted through the buttonholes and another square knot tied on top of the button to secure. I cut the tape at an angle, but if it frays a little bit that will just add some texture.  Here’s a close-up of the button. Looks kewl to me!

 

The buttonhole got a little special treatment, too. The pattern instructions called for a little patch to be attached for each buttonhole. Because the shirt has no facing or interfacing, and you need some extra support there. One of the nice things about the Tribeca is that there isn’t a raw edge on it – it is all French-seamed and the edges are turned and mitered for a very neat finish.  I wanted the buttonholes to be equally as clean. The solution I came up with is like a faced buttonhole. I turned under the edges of the little patches, placed them on the shirt front, and stitched an elongated football-shape for the hole as shown in the first diagram below. Cut a slit to turn the patch to the inside, then topstitch the edge of the patch and around the edges of the hole.

 

I was pleased with my first creative clothing concept! And it brought me good luck, too. I wore my Tribeca for the first time to my local Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators conference, where I won an award! (you can read about that if you scroll down here: http://robynjordebrown.blogspot.com/2010_02_27_archive.html)

If you’re interested the Tribeca, my Pattern Review is here: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=44472

Advertisements
3 Comments leave one →
  1. March 21, 2010 9:24 am

    Very cool little touches. A great way to have great details without being too wearable art crazy.

  2. May 2, 2010 9:06 pm

    Well, look what I found!! A sewing blog:) Love the buttons on this shirt. I am planning more interesting styles for my new life as well. We should sew together:)

    • May 3, 2010 2:17 am

      Ha! Lets sew! I’m working on a utility jacket as suggested by Nancy Ericson in her last newsletter…but I got all fancy-schmancy with it, underlining with silk organza and doing flat-felled seams, and now it’s taking FOREVER.

      If I’m going to have a blog, I really need to post more often. I always plan to, but stuff always gets in the way!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: