Skip to content

new season, new 6-pak

May 16, 2012

The group that is participating in the 6-Pak sewalong at Stitcher’s Guild is so much fun that I had to join up for the summer season, too. But this will be an unplanned 6-Pak, since I also want the thrills, chills, and hair-raising excitement of making it up as I go along.

The first two items are complete, and looky looky, it’s a column.

The pants are from Marcy Tilton’s V8397 in a drapey linen/lycra blend. I’ve discovered that I like these semi-funky pants a lot as long as they are in drapey fabrics. I’m still not ready for the full-on funk of some of the arty pants styles. The top is from an old Burda envelope pattern, 3473. It’s a basic scoop-neck, darted tank top. The fabric is some sort of linen or cotton…maybe originally intended for a tablecloth? Whatever, I liked the texture and cut it on the bias for this tank.

For both of these items, I was dealing with short yardage. I must have gotten both of these pieces at Pursley’s when they were going out of business, so there was no opportunity to buy extra.

For the top, I had just enough to cut the front and the back. To finish the neck and armholes, I made  a bias binding from some off-white batiste. The binding was applied just like you

would for a knit top: folded the bias in half, matched up all the raw edges and stitched. Serged the seam allowances and pressed them to the inside, leaving just a little of the bias showing at the edge so it gives the same effect as piping. Topstitched along the edges.

The pants needed a little invention, too. This pattern has a front, back, and side panel, and each needs to be the full length of the pants. I was just inches short of being able to cut all three pieces full length. These pants have a very short inseam, so as drafted they would have been very short crops on me. I wanted them just above the ankle and lengthened the leg 2″ in order to get them that length – so shortening was not an option.

I love the phrase “make a virtue of a necessity” and that’s what had to be done here. A  poket was added, inspired by the CLD Easy, Ageless, Cool pants (which are very similar to this Vogue Pattern). The pocket enabled me to cut the side panel as two pieces, and it is such an easy pocket to do, too. Here’s what I did:

The side panel is a rectangle. For the lower part, I cut the rectangle as long as my fabric would allow. For the upper part, I cut a shape like this, because I was so short on fabric I didn’t even have enough to square off all four corners. Serged the lower edge (the top and sides will be finished when the seam are completed in the normal pattern steps).

The lower panel needed to be prepped for the pocket opening. I serged and interfaced the top edge, then pressed under an inch and a half for a self-facing. Edgestitched the fold and topstitched along the serging.

Now to line it all up. Took the pattern piece, and aligned the top of the upper side panel with the top of the pattern. Then lay the lower side panel on top, aligning the bottom to the bottom of the pattern piece. I had about an 8 inch overlap. All that remained was to topstitch the bottom edge of the upper side panel through both layers, which makes the pocket bag. The rest of the pocket seams are stitched when the side panel is joined to the front
and back.

Advertisements
11 Comments leave one →
  1. KristenI permalink
    May 16, 2012 9:26 pm

    Very nice outfit. That will be great to wear this summer. Such helpful little graphics on adding the pocket with panels! I will have to keep that one in mind.

  2. May 17, 2012 1:40 am

    I like this outfit!. I like the design of the top cut on the bias,so what would be sqaures are now diamonds. It just looks so nice. The pants look so cool and comfy for summer, and very trendy, I think. Thank you for explaining your design elements. 🙂 Great tutorial!

  3. May 17, 2012 1:59 am

    Your outfit is adorable! I need to make those pants too. It looks perfect for the hot Texas summers here.

  4. May 17, 2012 2:09 am

    I love your “column”, Robyn. I like what you did with the top by placing it on the bias. I need to remember that. Also, I need to revisit those pants. Nice work.

  5. Dilliander permalink
    May 17, 2012 2:47 am

    Great outfit, they go well together

  6. May 17, 2012 2:50 am

    I must remember your faux-piping armscye finish. It is perfect!

  7. May 17, 2012 8:40 am

    Lovely garments. Good solution to the ‘lack of fabric’ problem. Doesn’t that always make us think harder! I am looking forward to seeing the rest of this challenge now.

  8. Martha permalink
    May 17, 2012 5:01 pm

    I always like your columns, Robyn. And I like that you cut the top on the bias. I just bought some printed linen that is printed crooked. I’m thinking bias may be a way to manage it.

    Thanks for the instructions on the pocket. Great way to manage a shortage of fabric which always plagues my sewing. I’ll tuck this nugget away and steal it from you later, OK?

    Thanks.

  9. May 24, 2012 11:25 am

    That is a lovely summer outfit. It looks very chic, but also cool and comfortable to wear. Great solution to a fabric shortage, and now you have pockets! I will have to remember the faux piping trim idea too.

  10. June 6, 2012 10:02 pm

    I love this outfit….looks like it would work for Mississippi weather…read that HOT…as well!! I need to make some pants like those….I love the flowy feel of them!!

Trackbacks

  1. 6-pack completed « Unzipped

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: